Hour of Code
Hour of Code is a great initiative to introduce kids to coding. Some educators prefer to use block-based languages... but codeguppy.com encourages Hour of Code activities using a text-based language. Using our method kids may create their first program in just about 1/2 hour!
Download the FREE Draw with code book for your next Hour of Code event.
codeguppy.com is challenging the common misconception that only block-based languages are appropriate for young coders and is presenting an ingenious method for introducing kids to coding. This method, heavily influenced by the golden age of home computers, is based on type-in programs.
Type-in programs were huge in the 80’s. An entire generation of kids learned to code by typing in programs from books and magazines.
Although entering programs this way may seem slow and annoying the method has amazing educational benefits. By typing-in programs, kids improve typing skills, attention to details as well as grasp the basic concepts of programming.
See typing in action
As someone said, if kids in the 80’s were able to learn coding using BASIC, then kids from nowadays should also find text-based coding accessible!
Download Draw with Code book
Beyond Hour of Code
Please note that codeguppy.com is a very versatile coding environment that can be used beyond Hour of Code. codeguppy.com encourages people to get started with coding through fun and engaging activities such as game building.
codeguppy.com is for everyone:
- Kids and teens can use codeguppy.com to build games
- Educators and CS teachers can use codeguppy.com to teach coding in class or coding clubs
- Hobbyists can use codeguppy.com as a recreation coding platform
To make coding easy, fun, and engaging for people of all ages, codeguppy.com comes with an online code editor and a graphical oriented runtime. There is a variety of programs that can be created using the codeguppy.com environment:
- Kids can make video games using built-in animated sprites
- Kids can build video games with custom 16 color type-in sprites
- Teens and adults can create pixel art games
- Teachers can use Turtle Graphics to teach CS concepts
- Educators can support Hour of Code with “Draw with code” activities
- Creative adults can use codeguppy.com for creative programming
At this point we believe you have more questions than answers! Therefore we encourage you to please feel free to contact us at any time. We can discuss how to get started with coding, how to implement codeguppy.com in your coding club ... or even discuss coding questions or share programs.